Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ritzy Baby

A few weeks ago my little man went on his first road trip.  Just a few days shy of 6 months old we hit the road for Charlotte NC.  I was working for 3 days and we determined it would be a good time to bring the family to my company’s hub and then swing over to my parents on the coast.

Sunday night we packed up the car with the necessary baby gear and two large suitcases.  Included in the extravaganza of baby gear was the following shameless list of items.  Stroller, Pack and Play, bouncy seat, and all the toys we could manage to bring that would keep him entertained without taking up to much space. We also of course brought the essentials as well.  It just fit! 

Once we were on the road Baby B was content.  He slept for two hours then woke then we went for another 30 minutes without a place to stop and then he went back to sleep, so we pushed on.  My fearless husband behind the wheel making excellent time. 

Finally we could go no farther, so we stopped to feed and change the baby and walk him around in the Virginia rest stop that ate our $20 bill in the vending machine!  No food for us and it was already past noon.  In my hustle and bustle I had forgotten grown up snacks.  But as you know if your nursing the baby is always easily fed, so the rest is moot.

Back on the road for another two hours with a sleeping baby.  It was time to eat even though he still slept.  We stopped at a Hardees and grabbed a quick bite at which point the baby was awake and whamming so changed him and we put the bouncy seat in the front of the car and I made it to the back to entertain his brain and feed him a bottle. 

Another two hours had passed of me shaking rattles and toys and feeding a bottle in between.  Then another stop to feed and change baby B.  He was happy most of the trip save a few bouts of crying that lasted between 5 and 15 minutes.  Not bad for a 9 hour trip with 4 stops.

We rolled into the driveway of the Ritz Carlton in Charlotte, NC a little after 7 just as we planned!  That’s right me and my blended family at the Ritz.  We were met by the valet and the doormen and bellman anxious to assist with the unpacking of our crammed vehicle.  We were already a hit with the staff because of the baby and our long journey. 

I checked in with the baby while the hubs coordinated the rest.  After a quick elevator ride we collapsed onto the king sized bed on the 16th floor and awaited the arrival of our bags.  We made it!

The bags arrived and I unpacked us as quickly as possible.  I must interject that the pack and play was a fail for this trip.  It served only as a changing table and even rarely at that.  Any how we ordered some room service and ate while the baby played.  He was full of unexpelled energy!  Then to bed for all of us.  I was road weary and working the next day.

Off to conduct my first training session since returning from maternity leave was a wonderful reunion with coworkers I’d missed.  I was a little off my game initially when facilitating, but then it all fell into place.  Rolston and the baby were off to the museums, but not before purchasing an $80 belt.  That’s right a very expensive packing oversight.

They went all over Charlotte together. A father and a baby in a stroller.  The African American museum, the museum of the new South, the Betchler, and even the NASCAR hall of fame. They even stopped on the last day to have lunch with me and my colleagues.  Baby B was a star and behaved through the entire meal.

On this final day we ended a little early and as a family we went to the pool at the hotel.  Baby B’s first time “swimming”.  He was unsure at first and then relaxed into the water and kicked his little legs.  He was a natural, enjoying the water just like his parents.

Next was a leisurely meal at my favorite Charlotte restaurant called Harvest Moon.  It’s farm to table and I adore it.  We sat outside in the warm evening air and the owner came out to meet the baby.  She fawned over him and he smiled at her. It was a lovely end to the first leg of our vacation. 

We packed up and went to sleep and in the morning called the bellman to assist with all the gear.  We packed up and again it all just fit.  On our way out of the driveway they called, “Bye Jersey!” and we were off to Oriental, NC to see the grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment