Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Be my valentine

We have already had several first holidays with our son. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve, and now it is Valentine's day. A commercialized holiday to be sure, but the central idea is important. At the heart of this day is tell those in your life how much you love them maybe even pick someone special to be your valentine. Really what could be better?

I remember as a child receiving a special gift from my parents each year.  When I reached school it was also cards from my classmates. From my boyfriend in high school who would later become my husband it was a single red rose, a card and perhaps even chocolates in a heart shaped box.

This year I returned to work on Valentine's day. It was my first day back from maternity leave and although I work from home usually I had to go into the office to have my access reestablished. Of all my Valentine's days passed it was by far the least romantic, but also the most loving.

When I arrived home my husband and son were waiting for me.  I did not get a card or flowers or even candy in a heart shaped box, but I did not need any of that.  I have everything I ever wanted and more and nothing can tell me I am loved more than the look in their eyes when I returned.

In the evening I fed my son and he fell asleep in my arms and I could smell that sweet baby smell he has. I whispered in his ear, "Be my Valentine?" He snuggled closer as if to answer yes mommy I will be your valentine. Next year he may even be able to say the word yes and the year after that he might even give me a red scribble paper and the following year something he made special for me in preschool and then a homemade construction paper heart that is perfectly imperfect. No matter how he decides to show me he loves me he will always be forever my sweet valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment