Sunday, February 12, 2012

Perfect imperfections

My son has two completely different ears. One is close to his head and very small and the other sticks out and is larger in every respect.  One curls around more at the top and comes to a point and one earlobe is distinctly fatter than the other.  It took me approximately eleven weeks to notice this and during that time I stared at him almost constantly.

To me this phenomenon is his first recognizable perfect imperfection.  I adore his mismatched ears as much as I adore every other part of him. I might be the only one to ever notice or it may be the first thing he is teased about on the playground. Either way this idiosyncrasy is his. I look forward to discovering these nuances throughout his life. These traits that make him uniquely himself. 

When he had his first cold I heard him sneeze like his father and before he cries he makes the same face as I do before I cry. I enjoy these similarities to both of us. I have questions about if he will throw left handed like I do or will he be a reader like his father; however, I also look forward to more characteristics that will differentiate him from us.

As his personality blooms like a flower revealing itself petal by petal folding open and outward to the world, I will get glimpses into his soul. Watching as he develops is astounding. Physical and emotional milestones have come and gone and so many remain.

I am now waiting to hear his first laugh. I know this moment will stop me in my tracks and burn into my brain as a forever memory. Until I get that laugh I will wait continuing to stare at him just as I have since the day he was born perhaps noticing more of my perfect little boy's perfect imperfections.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment