Saturday, February 18, 2012

Playdate

There is nothing quite like spending an afternoon with a great friend to make me feel more balanced. As a plus she has three children and the youngest is a boy only 6 months older than baby B and a girl Izzy who is two and a half. Alex is 8 and the oldest. She is the first child that I loved outside of my family.  Today was Brenton's first playdate with them.

Watching children observe each other is such a unique experience and the intrigue on their tiny faces is so clear.  Who is this new visitor and most important do I like him?  They stare at each other and we study the reactions.

Immediately Alex is doing anything to be near the baby.  She has been waiting for this day and I enjoy her excitement in meeting him. She makes faces and when he smiles she shouts, "He smiled. I made Brenton smile."  I understand her sentiment. When he smiles for me I feel that same childlike glee.

Izzy is eating her cereal and she sees him at first from a distance.  She is prepared as she has her younger brother.  She is accustomed to sharing attention and if needed she knows how to get what she wants.  Occasionally she points at the baby and says LoLo and BeBe.  She is figuring everything out. She quickly hugs the baby and then moves on to the interesting diaper bag I brought. It contains a hairbrush and she must have it. When her mother holds Brenton she reaches for me and I bring her into my lap.  Fair is fair apparently.

It is immediately clear that the boys will like each other. Baby B is big for his age and Logan is rough and tumble. It will be a good match. I see a future for these two to be sure. They are talking back and forth in baby language.  They exchange knowing smiles. Male bonding occurs.

Until today I did not closely watch children interact because I had no vested interest in the outcome. I felt something important was happening as my son was socializing with other tiny beings.  He was certainly curious.  I did not sense fear.  He was open to them.  He was at ease and so was I.

With each new experience he has I have a new one as well seeing things through the eyes of a mother now. I remind myself to keep track and take note because these firsts will only happen once. Today was another first, the first playdate.

No comments:

Post a Comment